Friday, March 6, 2015

BBQ Chicken Apple Pizza


I'll admit, this one kind of sounds a little out there.  Who puts apples on pizza?  The pull of the BBQ sauce (if you know me at all, you know I'm a sucker for the BBQ thing), was enough for me to push aside my skepticism and give this recipe a try.  I decided to pan sear the chicken in BBQ sauce and then cut it into slices, rather than shred it.  Slather the chicken in BBQ sauce, throw in some cheddar cheese, red onion, apples (yes, the apples are totally working) and sprinkle in a little cilantro.  And there it is.  Oh. My. Yum.  I love this pizza in every way!  I think it may be my new favorite.

Ingredients
1 uncooked pizza crust*
1 large chicken breast
2 cups BBQ sauce, divided
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1 apple, thinly sliced
1/2 red onion, sliced into rings
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions
I always use my favorite homemade pizza crust* but you can use a store bought crust if you want.  (These directions are for the homemade crust.  Follow the baking directions that come with your crust, if you choose to use something else.)  Preheat oven to 500.  Place pizza stone (best choice) or pan in oven to preheat with the oven.  Meanwhile, heat skillet over medium-high heat and coat with cooking spray. Place chicken breasts in skillet and cook for 7 minutes. Turn chicken and cook an additional 7 minutes, or until cooked through. Pour 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce over chicken. Turn chicken over, and pour another 1/4 cup sauce over the other side. Cook 2-3 minutes more while flipping the chicken and basting with additional sauce if necessary. Remove chicken to cutting board and cut into thin slices.  Pour 1/2 cup BBQ sauce over chicken slices, mix gently to coat then set aside.  Roll out pizza dough on parchment paper.  Spread 1 cup BBQ sauce over crust.  Sprinkle cheese evenly over crust and top with chicken, apples, onion and cilantro.  Carefully pull the hot stone or pan out of the oven, slide the parchment paper with the pizza onto the pan. Return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.  Brush crust with olive oil right after baking.

*This pizza crust recipe makes enough dough for 2 pizzas.

Source:  Lemon Tree Dwelling

2 comments:

foreveryoung said...

You seriously amaze me with all your pizza creations! I definitely need to step up my game and start thinking outside the cheese pizza box!

Janessa said...

It's fun to mix it up. I usually make a cheese pizza too for the less adventurous crowd :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...