Friday, November 28, 2014

Pumpkin Butter


I originally made this because I needed it for another recipe (that I will be sure to post soon!).  I was so excited to have a reason to make this lovely fall delicacy.  It made way more then I needed for the other recipe and I have a mostly full jar of it in my fridge just waiting to be spread on a thick slice of homemade bread.  (Find my favorite homemade bread recipe here.)  Plus, with the holidays coming up, I think it would make a fabulous neighbor gift in a cute little jar with a loaf of bread.  I'll bet teachers would love some too.  Oh, the possibilities are endless!  I had no idea how much I was needing pumpkin butter in my life!  It's super easy to make and made my house smell so good!


Ingredients:
  • 1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin puree, approx. 3 1/2 cups or fresh
  • 3/4 cup apple juice
  • 1/2-1.5 teaspoons ground ginger (optional, sometimes I omit)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 cup Sucanat (or brown sugar)
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1-2 tsp fresh lemon juice
Directions:
1. Combine pumpkin, apple juice, spices, and sugar in a large saucepan and stir well. Bring mixture to a boil, covered with lid ajar (I prop it with a wooden spoon). Reduce heat to low-medium and simmer, covered with lid ajar, for 35-45 minutes, stirring frequently. Be careful as the mixture bubbles and pops!
2. Remove from heat and let it sit for a few minutes before removing lid. Adjust spices to taste. Stir in lemon juice. Once cool, pumpkin butter can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. Makes enough to fill one large mason jar or about 3.5 cups.
*Source: Oh She Glows



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...