Saturday, December 20, 2014

Chicken Tortilla Soup


Years ago I was searching for a good chicken tortilla soup recipe.  It's one of my favorite soups!  I came across one that had a really good flavor but it didn't have enough substance to it.  I added in some corn, black beans and cilantro and BAM, that was it!  My go-to chicken tortilla soup had been found!  I've made this for potlucks and taken it to friends when they are sick or have had a baby.  It's always a hit and they usually ask for the recipe too.  Go cook up a pot of this goodness for dinner tonight and I'm betting it will put a smile on your face.

Ingredients:
3-4 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
2 tsp minced garlic
4 cups chicken broth (or water and 4 bullion cubes)
3 cans corn, drained
4 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
2 TBS sugar
3 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp oregano

Directions:
Boil chicken breasts, then shred.  Combine all ingredients (including shredded chicken) and cook over medium heat until heated thoroughly.  Serve with tortilla chips, shredded cheese and sour cream.

As a Freezer Meal
Prepare soup as directed.  Do not add any toppings.  Once it is cooled to room temperature, place in gallon sized, freezer ziploc bag.  When ready to use, thaw soup and reheat in a large pot.  Serve with tortilla chips, shredded cheese and sour cream.

2 comments:

foreveryoung said...

One of my all time favorite meals! I've loved your suggestion to add the black beans and corn, it really does give it that little somethin' somethin'!

Janessa said...

I'm glad you love it too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...