Monday, December 8, 2014

Cornbread Stuffing {Southern Style}


I've always been a Stove Top Stuffing kind of girl.  A few years ago I decided to try making stuffing from scratch and it was a fail.  I turned back to my Stove Top ways for a couple of years but decided to try my hand at the homemade stuff again this year.  I researched some different recipes and finally settled on this one.  Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!  It came together easily.  It uses cornbread as a base which is so moist and hearty.  Much better then dried bread crumbs, in my opinion.  I wasn't so sure about the corn in it, but it is most definitely working and the herbs and seasonings are a fabulous combination.  It's totally won me over and I have said goodbye forever to my old friend, Stove Top.  This guy has earned a permanent spot on our holiday menu!


Ingredients:

2 (8.5 ounce) packages dry corn muffin
mix
1 (8 ounce) can cream-style corn
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
1 onion chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 cups chicken broth

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 400.  Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish. 
  • In a medium bowl, combine muffin mix, corn, eggs, sour cream and milk; stir just until moistened.  Pour into a prepared pan.
  • Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown
  • Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and sauté onion, celery and garlic.  When celery and onion are tender, stir in thyme, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne and broth.  Bring to a boil then remove from heat.
  • Crumble toe cornbread and stir into broth mixture; mix well.  Add more broth or bread as necessary to achieve desired consistency.
  • Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.
*Source: allrecipes.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...