Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Spinach Basil Pesto


I always get a little thrill when I learn how to make something that I would normally just grab off the grocery store shelf.  Especially when it's something that I'd never really thought of making myself.  And, as always, homemade is better than storebought!  A good friend, and fabulous chef, fell in love with my Mediterranean Pizza.  We were messaging back and forth about it and she shared a recipe for homemade pesto that she used on the pizza.  I love pesto and was so excited to try making it!  My life will never be the same.  It is so easy to make and tastes fabulous!  Now I'm trying to make up recipes to use the beautiful green sauce with.  I can't get enough!

Ingredients
4 cups fresh spinach
2 cups fresh basil
2 cloves garlic
1 TBS lemon juice
1/4 cup asiago cheese, shredded
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/3 cup olive oil

Directions
Place spinach, basil, garlic, lemon juice, cheese, salt and pepper in a food processor or blender.  Blend for about 30 seconds.  Slowly add the olive oil while it continues to blend.  You can adjust the amount of olive oil to make it thicker or thinner.  Blend until smooth.  Serve with pasta, veggies, chicken, fish, as a spread, etc.  Store the pesto in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.  This pesto also freezes well.

Source:  Julieann Hanson

2 comments:

foreveryoung said...

Agreed! I recently made spinach pesto for the first time and I immediately wondered why it took my so long- amazing!

Janessa said...

Right, totally amazing and super easy! I'd love to compare recipes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...