Saturday, December 13, 2014

Award Winning Apple Crisp


So technically I've won an award with this dessert before.  Though it wasn't anything important, it is one of my favorite apple desserts and an award winner in my book!  I love apple pie but a good apple crisp is hard to beat.  The only problem I have with a crisp is that they don't have a crust.  It's kind of like it forgot to put on it's pants on and went out into public.  Kind of embarrassing.  This recipe is like the love child of apple pie and apple crisp.  It has a good hearty crust to keep it grounded (though not a pie crust) and that delicious crisp topping is what keeps me coming back for more.  Top it off with a scoop of homemade whipped cream and enjoy a little slice of heaven!  And if apple isn't your thing, you can substitute in any fruit pie filling.  I've used blueberry and cherry before and they were both fab!  Get creative and enjoy your award winning crisp!

Ingredients:
1 package white or yellow cake mix
1 1/4 cup oats, separated
8 TBS butter, softened and separated
1 egg
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cans apple pie filling

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.  Mix together cake mix, 1 cup oats and 6 TBS butter until crumbly.  Set aside 1 cup of the mixture for the topping.  Blend 1 egg into the remaining mixture then press into the bottom of a greased 9 inch pie pan or square cake pan.  Bake for 12 minutes.  While it is cooking, combine the 1 cup of mixture set aside with 1/4 cup oats, 2 TBS butter, nuts brown sugar and cinnamon.  Mix well.  Pour apple pie filling into cooked crust, sprinkle on the topping then cook for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.

2 comments:

foreveryoung said...

Ha! Your "no pants" analogy made me laugh :) I have my trusty apple crisp recipe that I just love, but I may have to cheat on it a little and try this, looks and sounds amazing!

Devilyn said...

I've gotta try this!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...