Sunday, December 14, 2014

Super Awesome Cornbread


Growing up, we had a fun neighbor family that lived across the street from us.  I babysat their kids and my little sister had big plans to marry one of their boys.  And I may or may not have crashed into their parked car when I was sixteen years old.  If that did indeed occur, they were very kind and understanding and didn't even get mad at all.  They were such great friends!  My mom got this recipe from her long before I was interested in collecting recipes.  Now that I'm all grown up and care about having a good cornbread recipe, she's passed it on to me.  This is a good hearty cornbread that's a little sweet and very moist.  Try some  whipped honey butter for a perfect way to top this cornbread.  I make it all the time and always think of our super awesome neighbors every time I do.

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Directions:
Sift dry ingredients then add milk, eggs and oil.  Dough will be fairly stiff. pour into a square 8x8 pan (double recipe for 9x13).  Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until golden brown.

*Source: Melanie Johnson

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...