Monday, January 26, 2015

Chipotle Chicken Taco Salad


I love a good salad.  Grilled chicken over lettuce, topped with a little balsamic dressing is my go to salad but it's nice to change things up and throw something different into the mix every now and then.  My friend passed this one along to me a few years ago and I still love to pull it out and serve it for a filling, but lighter meal.  This salad is packed full of amazing and the dressing has just a little zip that will leave you wanting more.

Ingredients:
Dressing:
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2/3 cup light sour cream or yogurt
1 tablespoon minced chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
4 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
Salad:
4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
2 cups chopped roasted skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 2 breasts) Leftover grilled chicken works too.
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup diced peeled avocado
1/3 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (8 3/4-ounce) can no-salt-added whole-kernel corn, rinsed and drained or use frozen

Directions:
To prepare dressing, combine first 7 ingredients, stir until well mixed.  To prepare salad, combine lettuce and the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss gently to coat. Serve immediately. Store leftovers in the fridge – it’s just as good the second day!
Tip: Add a spoonful of adobo sauce for a spicier salad. Kidney or pinto beans also work in this salad.
Yield: 4 Servings   Servings Size: Approx 2 1/2 cups

Source:  Nutmeg Notebook via Karilyn Shields

4 comments:

foreveryoung said...

You know I love a good chicken salad too, I'll definitely have to give this a try!

Janessa said...

Salad club, right here! You'll have to let me know what you think!

Devilyn said...

So many good recipes on here! I'm super impressed. ..and maybe a wee bit jealous you get to cook so much.l :)

Janessa said...

Thanks so much, my friend! This cooking hobby had become my sanity saver the past few months. Since I've got to cook anyway, it's been fun to try lots of new things and document it for our forth coming family cook book.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...