Right now my favorite sweet treat flavor is salted caramel. I just love the salty sweet combination! The second my eyeballs beheld this recipe, I knew it was meant for me. I tweaked it just a little and am now calling it perfect. I think I may dream about it tonight.
- 1 cup unpopped popcorn kernels
- ½ cup butter
- 3 cups light brown sugar
- ⅔ cups water
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- medium ground sea salt
- Pop popcorn and place in a large mixing bowl.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add brown sugar and whisk together until mixed. Add water.
- Continue stirring until it comes to a full boil and whisk continually for 5-10 minutes, until mixture hits soft-ball stage (put a few drops in a glass of icy water until the drops form a soft ball).
- Remove mixture from heat and mix in vanilla extract and baking soda. Continue stirring as the mixture goes puffy.
- Drizzle caramel over popcorn and lightly stir until evenly coated.
- Sprinkle with sea salt, to taste. Stir.
- Let cool before serving.