Thursday, February 11, 2016

Strawberry Spinach Craisin Salad with Candied Almonds



This was the first "fancy salad" (a.k.a. a salad with more than lettuce and tomatoes) that I made and fell in love with.  It's a staple at our BBQ's and when I'm asked to bring a salad to a potluck, this is my go to recipe.  It's always a hit and I usually end up passing along the recipe before I leave.  I know there are so many versions of this salad out there, but trust me, this right here is the BEST one!

Salad:
1 pkg spinach
1 chopped apple
1 can mandarin oranges
½ C crasins
1 C sliced strawberries
½ C slicedAlmonds
¼ C sugar

Dressing:
zest of one lemon
2 Tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 Tbs vegetable oil
2 1/2 Tbs sugar
1/2 tsp mustard seed

Put almonds and sugar in a small pan and heat over high heat. Stir constantly until sugar melts, coat evenly then spread out in a single layer on a sheet of parchment paper.  Put aside to cool and set while preparing the rest of the salad.  Combine dressing ingredients, whisk well then refrigerate.  Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl, top with candied almonds. Right before serving, stir dressing then drizzle over  salad and mix well.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...